For the EquiNaM project information sheet, please click on the icon.
For the Nepali translation (frontside English/backside Nepali), please click here.
For the Hindi translation (frontside English/backside Hindi), please click here.
For the Chichewa translation (frontside English/backside Chichewa), please click here.
For the EquiNaM PPT presentation, please click on the icon.
- Houweling TA, Joanna Morrison, Kishwar Azad, Glyn Alcock, Mahfuza Akter, Jyoti Bamjan, Bharat Budhathoki Magar, Sushmita Das, Bedowra Haq Aumon, Md. Munir Hossen, Abdul Kuddus, Sonia Lewycka, Caspar W. Looman, Florida Malamba, Dharma S Manandhar, Riddhima Metha Basiya, Albert Nkhata, Shrijana Pathak, Tambosi Phiri, Shibanand Rath, Mikey Rosato, Kabita Sah, Naomi Saville, Aman Sen, Neena Shah More, Sweta Surve, Rinku Tiwari, Prasanta Tripathy, Collins OF Zamawe, David Osrin, Anthony Costello. "Reaching the poor with health interventions: programme incidence analysis of seven randomised trials of women’s group reproductive health interventions in Asia and Africa. " J Epidemiol Community Health. doi:10.1136/jech-2014-204685
- Glyn Alcock, Sushmita Das, Neena Shah More, Ketaki Hate, Sharda More, Shanti Pantvaidya, David Osrin, Tanja AJ Houweling. "Examining inequalities in uptake of maternal health care and choice of provider in underserved urban areas of Mumbai, India: a mixed methods study." BMC Pregnancy & Childbirth. 15:231. DOI 10.1186/s12884-015-0661-6.
- Houweling TAJ, Morrison J, Azad K, Manandhar DS, Alcock G, Shende S, Tripathy P, Costello A. "How to reach every newborn: three key messages." Lancet Global Health. 2014;2(8): e436–e437.
- Melissa Neuman, Glyn Alcock, Kishwar Azad, Abdul Kuddus, David Osrin, Neena Shah More, Nirmala Nair, Prasanta Tripathy, Catherine Sikorski, Naomi Saville, Aman Sen, Tim Colbourn, Houweling TA, Nadine Seward, Dharma S Manandhar, Bhim P Shrestha, Anthony Costello and Audrey Prost. Prevalence and determinants of caesarean section in private and public health facilities in underserved South Asian communities: cross-sectional analysis of data from Bangladesh, India, and Nepal. BMJ Open. 2014;4:e005982 doi:10.1136
- de Jonge H.C.C., Azad K., Seward N., Kuddus A., Shaha S., Beard J., Costello A., Houweling TA, Fottrell E. "Determinants and consequences of short birth interval in rural Bangladesh: a cross-sectional study." BMC Pregnancy and Childbirth. 2014;14:427. DOI 10.1186/s12884-014-0427-6
- Houweling TA, Tripathy P, Nair N, Rath S, Rath S, Gope R, Sinha R, Looman CW, Costello A, Prost A. The equity impact of participatory women's groups to reduce neonatal mortality in India: secondary analysis of a cluster-randomised trial. Int. J. Epi.2013;42:520-32
- Commentary on the above publication: Victora CG. Commentary: Participatory interventions reduce maternal and child mortality among the poorest, but how do they work? Int J. Epidemiol. 2013;42:503-05.
- Houweling TAJ, Prost A, Tripathy P, Nair N, Costello A. Authors’ Response: The equity impact of participatory women’s groups to reduce neonatal mortality in India: secondary analysis of a cluster-randomized trial. Int. J. Epi. 2013; doi: 10.1093/ije/dyt118
- Audrey Prost, Tim Colbourn, Nadine Seward, Kishwar Azad, Arri Coomarasamy, Andrew Copas, Houweling TA, Edward Fottrell, Abdul Kuddus, Sonia Lewycka, Christine MacArthur, Dharma Manandhar, Joanna Morrison,, Charles Mwansambo 8, Nirmala Nair, Bejoy Nambiar, David Osrin,, Christina Pagel, Tambosi Phiri, Anni-Maria Pulkki-Brannstrom, Mikey Rosato, Jolene Skordis-Worrall, Naomi Saville, Neena Shah More, Bhim Shrestha, Prasanta Tripathy, Amie Wilson and Anthony Costello. Women’s groups practising participatory learning and action to improve maternal and newborn health in resource-limited settings: systematic review and meta-analysis. Lancet. 2013; 381: 1736–46.
- Younes L, Houweling TA, Azad K, Costello A, Fottrell EF. Estimating coverage of a women's group intervention among a population of pregnant women in rural Bangladesh. BMC Pregnancy and Childbirth. 2012; 12:60.
- Nahar T, Azad K, Aumon BH, Younes L, Shaha S, Kuddus A, Prost A, Houweling TA, Costello A, Fottrell E. Scaling up community mobilisation through women's groups for maternal and neonatal health: experiences from rural Bangladesh. BMC Pregnancy Childbirth. 2012;12:5.
Reports and policy briefs
- Stakeholder consultation: report of 7 round table discussions in Asia and Africa
- Stakeholder consultation: report of in-depth interviews with policy makers and practitioners
- Newspaper article on Round Table Discussions with Stakeholders about health equity. Hetauda Sandesh daily_12Oct2012 (in Nepali)
- From Mosquito Nets to Life-saving Moisturiser: The London Team Tackling Global Health and Development. Huffington Post_15Jul2013
Yearly project updates
- CIHD research projects website
- ESRC grant announcement
- DFID grant announcement
- CIHD News item: grant announcement
- MIRA News item: grant announcement
- Ekjut News item: grant announcement
- BADAS News item: grant announcement
- SNEHA News item: grant announcement
Many papers have come out from work that our team members do as part of other projects they are involved in. Links to some relevant papers are given below.
- Tripathy P, Nair N, Mahapatra R, Rath S, Gope RK, Bajpai A, et al. Community mobilisation with women's groups facilitated by Accredited Social Health Activists (ASHAs) to improve maternal and newborn health in underserved areas of Jharkhand and Orissa: study protocol for a cluster-randomised controlled trial. Trials. 2011;12:182.
- Houweling TA, Azad K, Younes L, Kuddus A, Shaha S, Haq B, et al. The effect of participatory women's groups on birth outcomes in Bangladesh: does coverage matter? Study protocol for a randomized controlled trial. Trials. 2011;12(1):208.
- Lewycka S, Mwansambo C, Kazembe P, Phiri T, Mganga A, Rosato M, et al. A cluster randomised controlled trial of the community effectiveness of two interventions in rural Malawi to improve health care and to reduce maternal, newborn and infant mortality. Trials. 2010;11:88.
- More NS, Bapat U, Das S, Patil S, Porel M, Vaidya L, et al. Cluster-randomised controlled trial of community mobilisation in Mumbai slums to improve care during pregnancy, delivery, postpartum and for the newborn. Trials. 2008;9:7.
- Fottrell E, Azad K, Kuddus A, Younes L, Shaha S, Nahar T, Haq Aumon B, Hossen M, Beard J, Hossain T, Pulkki-Brannstrom A-M, Skordis-Worrall J, Prost A, Costello A , Houweling TAJ. The impact of increased coverage of participatory women’s groups on neonatal mortality in Bangladesh: a cluster randomized trial. JAMA Pediatrics. 2013;167:816-825.
- Fottrell E, Skordis-Worrall J, Houweling TA. Reducing neonatal mortality – reply. JAMA Pediatrics. 2014. 168: 292-3.
- Tripathy P, Nair N, Barnett S, Mahapatra R, Borghi J, Rath S, et al. Effect of a participatory intervention with women's groups on birth outcomes and maternal depression in Jharkhand and Orissa, India: a cluster-randomised controlled trial. Lancet. 2010;375(9721):1182-92.
- Azad K, Barnett S, Banerjee B, Shaha S, Khan K, Rego AR, et al. Effect of scaling up women's groups on birth outcomes in three rural districts in Bangladesh: a cluster-randomised controlled trial. Lancet. 2010;375(9721):1193-202.
- Manandhar DS, Osrin D, Shrestha BP, Mesko N, Morrison J, Tumbahangphe KM, et al. Effect of a participatory intervention with women's groups on birth outcomes in Nepal: cluster-randomised controlled trial. Lancet. 2004;364(9438):970-9.
Description of surveillance system
- Barnett S, Nair N, Tripathy P, Borghi J, Rath S, Costello A. A prospective key informant surveillance system to measure maternal mortality - findings from indigenous populations in Jharkhand and Orissa, India. BMC Pregnancy Childbirth. 2008;8:6.
Other papers on socio-economic inequalities in maternal, newborn and child health
- Houweling TA, Costello A, Osrin D. Improving maternal and newborn survival through community intervention. In: Parker R, Sommer M, editors. The Routledge International Handbook on Global Public Health. New York: Routledge; 2010.
- More NS, Bapat U, Das S, Barnett S, Costello A, Fernandez A, et al. Inequalities in maternity care and newborn outcomes: one-year surveillance of births in vulnerable slum communities in Mumbai. Int J Equity Health. 2009;8:21.